OutReach is hiring a part-time Transgender Advocate
Title: Transgender Advocate
Supervised by: Program Director
Full-time Equivalent: .75 LTE; 30 hours per week, flexible but must be during business hours (Monday through Friday, 12:00pm – 7:00pm)
The Transgender Advocate works with OutReach’s other Advocates and in collaboration with the Program Director to provide services and peer support to people in the transgender, nonbinary, and gender expansive community, leads and participates in educational presentations and panel discussions on LGBTQ+ topics, and works closely with the Madison Area Transgender Association (MATA).
● Work compassionately with transgender, genderqueer, nonbinary, and gender
expansive people who are seeking assistance in accessing services and providers.
Offer peer support to individuals in-person or via telephone or email.
● Communicate with local and national businesses or service providers that work
with the transgender community, and locate and evaluate additional resources
for our community.
● Meet regularly with Program Director and other Advocates and prepare detailed
reports on activities and services for OutReach’s Board and external funding
● Collaborate with other Advocates to develop and provide LGBTQ+ and
transgender-specific cultural competency/humility trainings to community
● Work with OutReach’s MATA program as a member of the Leadership Team and
facilitate MATA social and support group meetings as needed.
● Assist in the planning of events and other programs organized by MATA and
OutReach, such as the Trans Care Package Drive, Trans Joy event, and the Magic
Qualifications and Requirements
● Lived experience within the transgender, nonbinary, and gender expansive
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience with
public speaking, educational content creation, and community engagement.
● Strong interpersonal skills with an emphasis on professional and personal
boundaries and mindfulness of power dynamics and personal biases.
● Patience and humility in interactions with other individuals.
● Computer proficiency, including with programs like Zoom, PowerPoint, and Word.
● All candidates must support OutReach’s mission, vision, and values found here:
Compensation and Benefits
● $18-20/hour based on experience and qualifications.
● Eligible for benefits including health, dental, vision, and life insurance.
● Paid time off including vacation, personal, and sick days in addition to major
holidays when OutReach offices are closed.
Please email your resume and any other application materials (i.e., a cover letter) to AJ Hardie at firstname.lastname@example.org by 7:00pm by Monday, Oct. 3!
If you have questions about this position or the application process, contact AJ via email.
Please, no phone calls regarding this job.