OutReach is hiring a full-time Opioid Overdose Prevention Coordinator
Title: Opioid Overdose Prevention Coordinator | Supervised by: Program Director
Full-time Equivalent: 40 hours per week, flexible but must be during business hours (Mon. – Fri., 12:00pm – 7:00pm).
The Opioid Overdose Prevention Coordinator works in collaboration with OutReach staff to provide services and peer support for substance use to people in the LGBTQ+ community, with a focus on opioid use and misuse. The Coordinator also leads and participates in educational presentations and panel discussions on LGBTQ+ topics, and works closely with the Pride in Prevention Coalition (PIPC), Safe Communities, the African American Opioid Coalition, and other community organizations to provide education and resources to the public.
● Provide compassionate non-judgmental peer support, information, and service referrals to people in the LGBTQ+ community related to opioid and other substance use.
● Partner with OutReach’s current AODA Advocate to create and implement harm reduction programming and assist with facilitation of recovery support groups as needed.
● Reestablish and serve as liaison for the Pride in Prevention Coalition and work with other local organizations to provide accurate and culturally-relevant education and resources about opioid overdoses, the role of fentanyl in overdoses, harm reduction strategies, and other substance use and prescription substance misuse concerns specific to the LGBTQ+ community.
● Collaborate with program staff to develop and provide LGBTQ+ cultural humility trainings to other organizations.
● Prepare detailed impact reports on activities and services for OutReach’s Board and external funding agencies.
● Identify opportunities and attend conferences, meetings, or resource fairs to share information and resources about the LGBTQ+ community, substance use, and harm reduction.
● Assist in the planning and day-of coordination of special events and programs organized by OutReach such as the Magic Pride Festival.
● Additional duties as assigned by Executive Director and Program Director.
Qualifications and Requirements
● At least 1-2 years of professional and/or lived experience in substance use recovery and knowledge of or willingness to learn about harm reduction and prevention practices required.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience with public speaking, educational content creation, and community outreach and engagement.
● Computer proficiency, including with programs like Zoom, MS PowerPoint and Word.
● Must have access to reliable transportation. Occasional travel required.
● Must be able to lift and carry supplies and equipment up to 30 lbs.
● Must be able to conduct activities related to special events and community outreach including remaining standing or stationary for extended periods of time, moving tables and chairs, setting up tents, loading and unloading supplies, climbing stairs, moving or walking through event and work spaces.
● High school diploma required, some college coursework or college degree preferred.
● Bilingual (English and Spanish or Hmong) preferred.
● All candidates must support OutReach’s mission, vision, and values found here: https://www.outreachmadisonlgbt.org/about.
Compensation and Benefits
● $19-21/hour based on experience and qualifications.
● Eligible for generous benefits including health, dental, vision, and life insurance.
● Paid time off including vacation, personal, sick days, and paid holidays
Please email your resume and cover letter to
AJ Hardie at email@example.com by 7:00pm on Feb. 13
If you have questions about this position or the application process, email AJ, no calls please.